What everyone in the Realms might know

This is the beginning. For character concepts & brainstorming, Realmslore, and roleplaying advice.
Nerva
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Saltborne
Saltborne

Achievements

What everyone in the Realms might know

Post by Nerva »

I got it. Not everyone is a Realms fan. That's okay. And on the other side of the coin, not everyone is stuffed with Realmslore. That being the case, I figured it beneficial to open a thread asking:

What do you think everyone in the Realms might know?
Forum Administrator & Le Hakpak Guy
DM Playtimes: Usually after 8pm, M-Th; Sat-Sun after 10pm; All Times EST

Wiki | Announcements

*** FAQ ***
Where can I find ongoing DM Campaigns?
How do I report a bug? | Suggestions or Feedback?
How do I display a picture on the forum?
Nerva
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Saltborne
Saltborne

Achievements

Re: What everyone in the Realms might know

Post by Nerva »

The Time of Troubles

The Time of Troubles was a tumultuous period in the history of Faerun. During 1358 DR, the Year of Shadows, the Time of Troubles was a period during which the deities of Faerun were forced to walk the earth in their mortal avatar forms. Several major Gods died during the Time of Troubles, and a handful of mortals rose to divinity. Entire kingdoms, cities, and country-sides were the battlefields of the divine, and many had to flee their homes and villages in the wake of destruction.

Wiki | Announcements

*** FAQ ***
Chops
Washer
Washer

Post by Chops »

The Goblin War occurred from 1370 DR to 1371 DR. The war started when Nalavarauthatoryl, (an elf-dragon) massed an army of Orcs, Grodd goblins, the seven Ghazneths and other monsters to attack the country of Cormyr. Interestingly, although the war is refered to as the Goblin Wars, goblins only made up a fraction of the army, most of the fighting being done by the Orcs.
Current Character: Amie Sherbet
Chops
Washer
Washer

Post by Chops »

The Days of Thunder is another one. That would more likely be known by scholars though or people with access to knowledge centres. Not so much the common peasant or adventurer.

Karsus's Folly is another massive event. It was a climactic event that resulted in the fall of the Netherese Empire in -339 DR. Another event that would likely not be well known among non scholars or learned people.

The Spellplague

Now I think this is a universally hated canon event that most people chose to ignore but it would definitely be known by everyone in existence in universe. The Spellplague, called the Blue Breath of Change by the inhabitants of Abeir, was a disaster that struck Realmspace and even the planes themselves on the date of Tarsakh 29 in the Year of Blue Fire, 1385 DR, and was caused by Mystra's assassination at the hands of Cyric and Shar. It continued for a decade, leading to the Wailing Years, during which arcane magic ceased to function and the planet of Toril was transformed. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Spellplague

The Second Sundering is worth a mention but it's much later than the setting of Haze. The Second Sundering took place during the decade of the 1480s DR.
Nerva
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Saltborne
Saltborne

Achievements

Post by Nerva »

Chops wrote: January 16th, 2022, 12:24 pm The Goblin War occurred from 1370 DR to 1371 DR. The war started when Nalavarauthatoryl, (an elf-dragon) massed an army of Orcs, Grodd goblins, the seven Ghazneths and other monsters to attack the country of Cormyr. Interestingly, although the war is refered to as the Goblin Wars, goblins only made up a fraction of the army, most of the fighting being done by the Orcs.
Heh. I've never actually heard of this. Was this base FR campaign setting, or from a novel?

Wiki | Announcements

*** FAQ ***
Chops
Washer
Washer

Post by Chops »

Not sure where it came from but it's widely known and I've had people make reference to it when my character is Cormyrian etc. I always just assumed it was base forgotten realms lore.
Onetusk
Flotsam
Flotsam

Post by Onetusk »

Nerva wrote: January 16th, 2022, 6:05 pm
Chops wrote: January 16th, 2022, 12:24 pm The Goblin War occurred from 1370 DR to 1371 DR. The war started when Nalavarauthatoryl, (an elf-dragon) massed an army of Orcs, Grodd goblins, the seven Ghazneths and other monsters to attack the country of Cormyr. Interestingly, although the war is refered to as the Goblin Wars, goblins only made up a fraction of the army, most of the fighting being done by the Orcs.
Heh. I've never actually heard of this. Was this base FR campaign setting, or from a novel?
Pretty sure it was at least a book triology. Read book 3 long time ago, Ed greenwood or ?? Denning maybe
Chops
Washer
Washer

Post by Chops »

Definitely could be. I came across it on the FR wiki. Might even be a source on the page of it.

"Sean K. Reynolds, Steve Miller (2000). Into the Dragon's Lair. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-1634-6."