Beginner's Guide to RPing in Haze

This is the beginning. For character concepts & brainstorming, Realmslore, and roleplaying advice.
Irishbastard
Community Supporter
Community Supporter
Washer
Washer

Beginner's Guide to RPing in Haze

Post by Irishbastard »

*maybe sticky this somewhere that seems appropriate

With the amazing influx of new players I would like to write a not-so-brief beginners guide for RPing within Neverwinter Nights and Haze. This is primarily for players who are new to Neverwinter Nights or even RPing all together! If you're experienced then this of course is probably not for you :)

First off we're super excited to see all the new faces and a lot of you have already brought some amazing RP to the table!

1. Neverwinter Nights is based within the Forgotten Realms, which is the world within D&D. Here's a introductory link for the basics of D&D. The game itself covers most of the mechanics like rolling, etc. But still the site below will give you an idea of the world you're entering.

https://dnd.wizards.com/basics-play

2. Haze is a persistent world within the Forgotten Realms. We put an emphasis on low magic, low levels, realism, grit and perma-death... So what this means is our priority is the story and immersive RP, rather than grinding xp or loot. XP and loot will be a positive consequence to you developing your own character, plot, going on adventures, DM events, etc.

3. With that being said when you create a new character here are some cool things to ask yourself:

- What's your character's values?
- What would be their goals here?
- What are some of their flaws or quirks?
- Who does my character love/hate? Whether it's different races, deities, or certain alignments.

Here's a link below that will help get your creative juices flowing:

https://tetra-cube.com/dnd/dnd-char-gen.html

4.1 When you're creating your character, don't just think about what will maximize your character's power (such as dumping all your stats into STR and CON). Of course if you're character is a dumb, yet strong barbarian that runs into battle without thinking first then that might make sense, but generally everyone has basic intelligence and/or wisdom (10 being the average level). All I'm trying to say is if your INT is -6 you probably won't be able to read or write beyond the skill of a 6 year old child.

4.2 Give us a brief description of your character in the description box. Mainly key physical characteristics, such your character's general appearance, maybe characteristic scars or items they wear, hair colour, stature, etc. It doesn't have to be long but it helps bring your character to life!

5. Walking/Running... You're not jogging everywhere in real life, so it doesn't really make sense for your character to do so either. Walking is the general rule of thumb here unless running make sense of course. There's a command that will keep your character from running everywhere and it's !walk (MAKE SURE you turn that off by typing !walk again if you leave the walls in case monsters start chasing ya. You can hold Shift while you move to stick to walking as well)

6. RPing your wounds. This isn't a must of course but it's an immersive tip to up your RPing game. If your character get's messed up by an Orc, it doesn't really make sense for him to be running everywhere at "Near Death". It can be a RPing opportunity for you and those around you that can bring the world to life. It can be as in-depth as you'd like to make it.

7. Dialogue: Avoid using modern terms such as, "Okay", "Motherfucker", "Yolo" or whatever else. Our character's are not living in the modern world. Let's use terms from the world in which we're living. Think medieval.

8. And lastly emoting: Emoting is simply stating your character's actions starting with an * or a [ before typing. This helps other's get a real feel for your character's general vibe and character.

A basic example would be:

* He looks over the crowd with a cynical stare *

That's it from me! Again welcome to anyone that's new and if anyone has anything else to add please feel free! Don't feel intimidated just jump in and enjoy the story :). If you have questions just message me on Discord. Cheers!
Last edited by Irishbastard on February 1st, 2022, 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current character: Narmo
Nerva
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Saltborne
Saltborne

Achievements

Re: Beginner's Guide to RPing in Haze

Post by Nerva »

This is awesome.

Moving from Introductions to Character Forge.
Forum Administrator & Le Hakpak Guy
DM Playtimes: Usually after 8pm, M-Th; Sat-Sun after 10pm; All Times EST

Wiki | Announcements

*** FAQ ***
Where can I find ongoing DM Campaigns?
How do I report a bug? | Suggestions or Feedback?
How do I display a picture on the forum?
Krivoklat
Flotsam
Flotsam

Post by Krivoklat »

Really excellent stuff. Really excellent. I think one element i'd like to add for advice for new players is: Pay Attention!
Pay attention to what is happening around you... And react to it.

For example, above, IB gives an example of an emote: * He looks over the crowd with a cynical stare *

if you are in a room with a bunch of characters, and someone near you types this out, react to it.
lean over to them and shift your 'talk' command into 'whisper' (which will limit who can read your text to a much tighter radius) and type something like, "What the hell are you looking at?"

-this is very good RP... because you are interacting with what is happening around you and it's especially good fun for other people as well, because RP is a 2-way street. ;)
Irishbastard
Community Supporter
Community Supporter
Washer
Washer

Post by Irishbastard »

I've always viewed RP as improv, because it really is improv. General rule of thumb was to never say "no", because if it that happened the act was at a stand still. I'm not saying to say yes to everything, but get out there and be a part of the story!
Current character: Narmo